Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year 2012

Happy New Year!  Happy 2012...I know most people will say, can you believe it's 2012 already? Where has 2011 gone?  Time is going so quickly.  I, too, am one of those people.  Each year I seem to find myself saying time goes fast.  And, truly it does.

With the start of a new year, a lot of people also find themselves setting goals, evaluating their life or looking to start fresh.  Normally, I do that too.  For some reason this year, I didn't have any goals that were jumping out at me as must do's.  Over the past few years, I had plenty.  2006 - figure out the mess that was my life, 2007 - be happy and live free, 2008 - the year of me-do a triathlon, buy a house, donate my hair, 2009 - maintain fitness, run 10 miles, get a dog, 2010 - be happy, get stronger and train inside and out, 2011 - get out of Owings Mills.  During each of those years, continuous goals were to always cherish my good health and the time I have on this planet, to be happy and have great times, and to love with all I have.

For 2012, nothing specific jumped out at me as a must do.  All of those other things, came easily to my mind and they were no brainers.  I had to do them.  So for 2012, I looked at my life and I thought about my next goals.  It's harder when the goals just don't come to you.  The word that came to my mind on New Year's Day was Limitless.  I'm feeling limitless in 2012 so here what I have so far:
  1. Recommit to fitness.  Increase my speed, my strength and maintain excellent physical fitness.  Challenge myself to do something I've never done before.  I'm thinking something like hiking or swimming or something that is done in a warm climate. Limitless.
  2. Commit to saving some money.  Over the past 5-6 years, I've done a lot of traveling...some years taking 3 amazing trips in one year.  All fantastic, but this year seems like a good year to commit to saving a bit of $. Don't misunderstand, I'll still travel, but saving is also important, or so Suzie Orman says. Limitless.
  3. Work on my next life.  I love my current job (and frankly who wouldn't now, hello AFC North Champions) but I also want to do more. I'm going to take some classes, either Spanish or something with make-up/skin care.  I'm going to channel my other passions a bit.  Limitless.
  4. Commit to free and open communication, even if it is hard.  Honest, free, good, sometimes harsh, communication in the hopes of building stronger relationships, stronger trust and ultimately making us better.  Limitless.
  5. I'm going to commit to telling at least one person per day something good or what they mean to me. I'm going to let those I love know it. Everyday.  So if 2012 goes quickly, as I suspect it will, those who I touch will know I care about them. Limitless.
  6. And, lastly I'm going to keep writing.  I started this blog just to see how I would feel about it. I like it. So, I'm going to do it more.  Many will never read it and that's ok.  It's for me and it's ok to do things just for yourself, every once in a while. Limitless.
I hope whatever your 2012 goals are (and please make at least one) you make them happen.  I read an article by our Sr. VP of PR & CR about Coach Harbaugh's speech to our team the Saturday before we played Cinci.  He said, "There is only one way to be great.  You take it. You have to take it.  If you decide you want to be great, then you will be." That touched me because it's true.  Being great is limitless.  We have a lot of control over our lives, our happiness, our goals and our greatness.  To be great and to have a great year, you have to take it.  It's that simple.  You just have to do it. So, that's what I'm going to do.
Limitless.
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2012/01/Byrne_Identity_-_This_Is_A_Playoff_Game.aspx


Happy 2012! Here's to being great!
xo ~ Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment