Monday, December 17, 2012

Holiday Happiness

Just because.  :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKj92352UAE 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dGOfFbzvq4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQViqx6GMY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jyCfRHumHU

Anyone who knows me knows that I really don't need a reason to celebrate.  Life alone is a reason to celebrate.

Me: "Hey, it's Monday and we've lost 3 games in row, we should get together and celebrate...something, with dirty martinis."

And I hate missing out, on anything fun. I seriously suffer from FOMO.

I've always been social (ask anyone who knows me, they will tell you that I like to talk and party) and I've always enjoyed being surrounded by people I love. I'm typically the last to leave most places (unless of course I have to leave to rush off to the next fun place). I love to have plans and I love to celebrate stuff...little stuff, big stuff, birthdays, 1/2 birthdays, holidays, seasons, summer, snow, hurricanes, whatever!  I love having family dinner on Sundays, mainly because, it brings us together in celebration of life.  I subscribe to the philosophy that you can sleep when you're dead. I mean really, other than haunting people, what else is there to do when you are dead??? 

So, you can imagine how the holidays are for me....insanely fun!  I'm quite certain, it's not just me who experiences this holiday mayhem. See also: going to the mall between December 15th and 24th. Life this time of year can be crazy and filled with all kinds of opportunities to celebrate and be happy. 

For the past 3 weeks, I've basically been enjoying everything the holidays have to offer. I'm doing everything in my power not to miss any celebrations, even if it means I'm double (ok triple) booked.  I've traveled north and west (Side question, anyone up for going south next?), spent time with most all of my amazing friends and family, decorated our house, wore an ugly but fabulous sweater all around town, I still have plans to go to 34th Street, I've had a fair amount of (lite) eggnog, put a holiday collar on my pup, participated in 2 wintry/festive races, shopped for presents, I'm planning on wrapping presents, baked a bunch of cookies, had our book club holiday party, 2 words: Festive Flavors, and I'm doing some charitable stuff. In other words, I'm getting it ALL in!

Santa Speedo Annapolis, MD
New family tradition

The holidays can be hectic and frantic for many reasons, but I choose to embrace everything about them. The reason for the season, the hecticness, the sparkles, the love, the people, the presents, the food, the shopping and lack of parking at the mall, the giving, the joy (and sometimes sadness), the movies, the music and the celebrations.  I'm embracing all of it.

In light of the tragic and absolutely horrible events that occurred last Friday, embracing the joy that comes this time of year is the very least I can do.  While I cannot control anything that actually happened that day, I can live on, love, give back, embrace the happiness, and celebrate life.  Those terrible events serve as a sad reminder, that while we are hectic, busy and sometimes out of time and patience, these little and many celebrations show us that life is good and we are blessed beyond words. 

So in celebrating this season, be happy and be with those who make you happy, take a moment to reflect, celebrate, give back, drink wine and eat the bad-for-you-but-oh-so-delicious food, show those you love that you love them, don't waste time, and be grateful for absolutely every little and big blessing in your life. Live for those that cannot and celebrate everyday.

You can sleep later. Now is the time to live your life!

My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone suffering a loss in Newtown or anywhere else. You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice. Absolute truth in the face of anything requires you to be stronger than you ever thought you could be.  May you continue to harness your inner strength and begin to heal. 

Happy Holidays!

xo~



No comments:

Post a Comment